I Chose Me
Everything Started to Change
There was a time when choosing myself felt selfish.
I believed that being a good person meant always saying yes, always understanding, always giving another chance and always putting everyone else's needs before my own. I wore exhaustion like a badge of honour and called it love. I ignored the quiet voice inside me that whispered, "What about you?"
Maybe you've been there too.
Maybe you've spent years trying to keep everyone happy while slowly losing yourself in the process.
The truth is, I didn't lose myself overnight. It happened one compromise at a time:
One boundary I didn't set, one apology I accepted that never came with changed behaviour, one dream I postponed, because someone else's needs seemed more important than my own, one more chance, one more sacrifice, one more day of believing that if I just loved harder, tried harder or stayed longer, things would eventually change, but they didn't...
I did!
Life didn't suddenly become easier, but I had reached a point where I realised something had to change and the only person I could truly change was myself.
So I made a decision that terrified me.
I chose me.
This didn't mean that I stopped caring about others or that I became cold or self-centred.
I simply decided that my peace mattered too.
My healing mattered, my dreams mattered and my voice mattered.
For the first time, I stopped asking for permission to become the person God created me to be and I started saying no without carrying guilt for days afterward.
I walked away from places where I constantly had to shrink to fit in. I stopped chasing people who had already decided they didn't want to walk beside me and I gave myself permission to rest, to heal, to grieve and to start again.
This is when something beautiful started to happen.
The people who truly loved me didn't disappear, because I had boundaries.
The opportunities that were meant for me didn't pass me by, because I stopped people-pleasing. The world didn't fall apart, because I wasn't available to everyone all the time.
Instead, I found space to breathe again. I found joy in simple moments. I rediscovered dreams I had buried beneath years of survival and most importantly, I began to recognise the person staring back at me in the mirror.
Choosing yourself doesn't mean you'll never experience heartbreak again.
It doesn't mean you'll never make mistakes or have difficult days, but it does mean you stop abandoning yourself just to keep other people comfortable.
It means your "yes" becomes more meaningful, because you also know how to say "no".
It means your kindness comes from a place of fullness instead of exhaustion.
It means you stop measuring your worth by how much you can carry for everyone else.
As Christians, choosing ourselves can sometimes feel uncomfortable, because we're called to love and serve others, but even Jesus withdrew to quiet places to pray.
He rested, He didn't heal every person in every town, He knew His purpose and He wasn't controlled by everyone's expectations.
There is a difference between sacrificial love and self-neglect and God never asked you to destroy yourself to prove your love. He created you with purpose, dignity and value.
Taking care of the life He entrusted to you is not selfish — it's stewardship.
Looking back now, I realise that choosing myself wasn't the end of my story. It was the beginning of becoming who I was always meant to be and maybe that's where your story begins too...
Not with changing everyone around you, not with waiting for someone else to finally choose you, but with making one quiet, courageous decision:
Today, I choose me.
Reflection
Where have you been abandoning yourself just to keep someone else comfortable?
What would change if, today, you chose your peace, your healing and the purpose God has placed on your life?
Scripture
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."
— Isaiah 43:19
Sometimes the most life-changing decision isn't walking away from someone else.
Sometimes it's finally coming home to yourself.
With you on the journey,
– Storm Reagan
Life Coach | Lived Experience Guide
Comments
Post a Comment